Wednesday, October 22, 2003

My Mom is on opium. Yup....just spoke with her......the doctor gave her a prescription for a drug that has opium in it. She told me that she had to sign her life away to pick it up at the drug store. She told me that it tastes bad. She also has a bloodclot. BUT...they say it is only a surface clot and nto to worry. She is to take aspirin and apply heat.

Today was the last day of the conference. I went to a session on the records of the "Big Dig"...........website appraisal and preservation....and instant messenger (IM). I learned that IM is a big security risk because file transfer can happen with IM....and most times you wouldn't even know you were downloading something....and that those files don't download to your desktop...but to a separate folder specifically for IM file transfer...very interesting. I also learned that those files coming through IM as attachments get through without going through the normal virus scanning process. Even more interesting.

The Ride picked me up to bring me home today. My driver was a young man who is originally from a small town (11,000 people) outside of Port-au-Prince, Haiti. He was very nice and told me all about Voodoo. He told me that he himself identifies as a Christian.......BUT...that many people in Haiti practice Voodoo. He said that Voodoo was not bad, but that some people chose to do bad with it. He compared it to going out and making money with the bible. You can use the bible's teaching to do good...or you can use it to steal lots of money off people. You can do good...or you can do bad with it.

No comments: