Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Happy St. Patricks Day!

I had my biopsy yesterday. I arrived at the hospital at 9:30 a.m. I was put into a room and got an iv....and changed into a beautiful johnny that they provided. I was rolled down to radiology at 10:45 a.m. and prepped. They did a pre-biopsy ultrasound and gave me some demerol. I learned that not only is my liver small, but that my gall bladder is in a different place than most peoples. The marked the point of entry with a plastic straw and gave me some lidocaine. For some reason I was thinking that with all the relaxing meds and numbing injections that I wouldn't feel any pain. I was wrong. Frankly it felt like they were jabbing me with a big needle when they took the biopsy. I didn't see the needle, but I hear it was at least six inches long. They showed me the piece they took out of me. It seemed awfully small for the amount of pain I went through. It was probably an inch long.......and a little thicker than dentle floss. It was all red. I was wheeled up to my room at 12:00 p.m. I was on my side for an hour. I had some discomfort so they gave me a shot of demerol. My blood pressure was low...so they gave me some iv liquids. I ate a chicken salad sandwich and some graham crackers. I went for a walk at 2:30 p.m. and I was out of the hospital by 3:00 p.m. On the way home I managed to vomit twice...gross huh? I called the doctor....looks like it was a response to the demerol. I got home and slept for a few hours. Eventually I woke up.....ate some yummy onion soup and watched A Mighty Wind. I was in bed by 10:30 p.m.

I am working from home today. I have some pain in my side. It feels like I got punched really hard in the liver. Sometimes I get sharp pains when I breath deep. I took the bandaid off the entry site a few hours ago. It looks ok.

No comments: