Friday, February 06, 2004

Today is my mother's last chemo appointment. I went to see her last night and she was smiling...and happy...and eager to be done with the treatments. Russ is taking her to her appointment. She made fudge and cookies for the staff...to thank them for everything. This day felt so far away when I first started writing this blog last spring. When Mom first started chemo she learned that they have a tradition in her chemo clinic where the staff gather around...and the cancer survivor reads a poem and rings a bell after their last chemo treatment. She will do this today....I am very proud of her.

When I was discharged from the hospital ten and a half years ago I sent the staff a box of water guns and hershey kisses. I wanted them to know how thankful I was for them...they had kept me alive. Even when I was tired and didn't want to fight....they did it for me.

No comments: