Sunday, February 08, 2004

The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court's (SJC) recent ruling on same sex marriage has caused quite a stir. This decision is truly remarkable and I am proud to be from the first state to declare this. Unfortunately this landmark decision is under attack. This Wednesday (February 11, 2004) the Massachusetts Legislators will vote on a constitutional amendment that is meant to undo this decision. This amendment would declare that "marriage" is between one man and one woman. This angers me because it is a clear violation of my civil rights. Who says that marriage is between one man and one woman? Who is to say that my union to another woman should not have the same value as heterosexual couples? We need to make sure our voices are heard. Contact your local legislators and let them know how you feel. Learn more about the SJC decision at MassEquality.

I went to Mass at the Paulist Center today. When I walked into this Catholic community today I ran into an older community member I know named Cathy. She got on my case about not telling her about the proposed anti-gay amendment. She told me that I needed to go downstairs.....speak to some of the gay/lesbian community members...get my Legislators name's....and call them. I let her know that I had already contacted my Representative and Senator. I was happy to know that I had a supporter in the community. Fortunately the Paulist Center has proven to be an advocate for the gay community. They walk in the Pride parade every year....they have a GLBT group.........they recently wrote and open letter saying that they supported the GLBT community members...... and 5% of the community gift today went to support outreach efforts to GLBT catholics. The message in todays homily was this......our baptism entitles us to certain rights....and one of those rights is to come to the table and to be heard. We all have a voice.

No comments: