Saturday, May 31, 2008

Saturday in Boston


I spent the afternoon hanging out with my grandfather in South Boston. Pa is getting older and this is the first time he has lived on his own for years. Hanging out with him is always fun! Today he told me about how his uncle made over a million dollars bootlegging and about how he used to roller skate to the art museum with his sister as a kid and even confessed to being scared when he found himself alone in the mummy room. If you saw the movie the Departed then you saw his front door. They managed to cut down one of his rose bushes during filming which brought my 80 something year old grandfather to tears. He had had that bush for something like 40 years. My aunt called Warner Bros to complain and they graciously planted another bush and put another one on their stoop with a big bow on it.

I left my grandfather's place and parked at the Boston Harbor Yacht Club to sit on the beach for awhile. It was about to rain, but the salt air and beach sand made me even more excited about the approaching summer.

While I was in Southie I decided to stop at Bailey's for coffee. I ordered a small REGULAH! On the way back to the car I realized I was parked right in front of Murphy's Law. If you saw Gone Baby Gone then Murphy's Law might sound familiar to you. Murphy's Law is where the final scene of the movie was shot.

On my way back to Somerville I drove over the bridge near the power plant and saw a small military ship parked at Black Falcon Terminal and then over by the James Hook Lobster Company to see the what was left of the building. The James Hook Lobster Company has been a New England Tradition since 1925 and unfortunately was the victim of a seven alarm fire yesterday. The fire department was still there throwing water on the building as I drove by today. I hope they will be able to re-build. I went over the beautiful Lenny Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge and saw the Bunker Hill Monument in the distance.

I finally arrived home and thought about my day. I realized that I love Boston and love living here. This is a great city, I grew up here, it is a part of me, and I couldn't imagine wanting to live anywhere else.

No comments: