Sunday, August 31, 2003

I found out today that my high school religion teacher died. Greg Lewis was a good man. I took a number of classes with him during my time at MSJA. Social Issues, Death and Dying, and Peace to name a few. I also knew him because of my involvement with the Social Justice Club. During my time at MSJA I served as Vice President...and President of the Social Justice Club. Mr. Lewis was the faculty advisor for the Social Justice Club. Mr. Lewis was one of the first people to teach me about Feminism, Civil Disobedience, Dorothy Day, social responsibility, Martin Luther King, Ghandi, Apartheid, Steven Biko, the stages of death, Elisabeth Kubler Ross, and the writings of Richard Bach. This may sound corny....but I really do owe a big part of who I am today to him. He will be missed.

My mom celebrated her birthday last week. We were supposed to take her out for dinner on Thursday.....but she spiked a fever......and was having trouble with her stoma.....so we had to cancel. They also cancelled her chemo for the week....etc., etc. They put her on an antibiotic......she has been feeling better the last couple of days. We rescheduled our dinner celebration. She started radiation last week. She seemed to be very nervous leading up to it. I think it was the mystery behind it that was scary. I spoke with her after her first radiation appointment....and she appeared to be fine. I think the mystery was gone.

My leg...let's see. I have an appointment to see the doctor on September 11th. I'm feeling a little wierded out by the date. I'm praying that Dr. Chaglassian will allow me to start putting some pressure on my leg on that day. I am scheduled to see Jen...my physical therapist right after I see Chaglassian. So...if he says I can put weight on it...I will get going on it.

So how am I dealing with the broken leg thing? Well I have been making an effort to get around without the wheelchair. Work has been tiring. I feel completely powerless and frustrated with having to rely on others to get me around. I have been trying to get out as much as possible....but it's hard.

I finally got word from the MBTA that I am eligible for the RIDE. However I have to buy ride tickets and I can only get them by going to Back Bay Station or waiting seven to 10 days to get them via the mail. Argh!

We went to see the New Orleans Klezmer All Stars at Johnny D's. I think I did a good job at getting up th step to get inside the club........and at moving around. The woman at the door was very nice and understodd thw whole non weight bearing leg thing. She told me that she had surgery and had been non weight bearing for three months. Yikes! That made me feel a bit better.

We went to eat at Oleana the other night. They had a ramp...and were very helpful with the leg thing. The food...and the environment....was amazing. I Highly recommend it. We were there for two hours...and loved every minute of it. My leg didn't mind it either.

I have been watching a lot of Degrassi: the Next Generation. It's pretty good....but not as great as the old show. Some of the old characters even show up.....like Joey...and Snake.

No comments: