Thursday, October 11, 2007

Cupcakes

I'm a big cupcake fan and am very psyched that they have made a comeback in the past few years. Some of my most favorite cupcakes have come from Billys Bakery (the best) and Magnolia Bakery (second best) in New York, and surprisingly......M&S Grill in Kansas City, MO. I say surprisingly because M&S is really known for their steaks and seafood and not cupcakes. But....I would recommend getting the red velvet cupcake at M&S the next time you see it on the menu.

I was tres excited when I heard about a new cupcake bakery in Davis Square...with my love for the cupcake and all. I stopped by Kickass Cupcakes this afternoon to give it a try. The bakery is really cute, they make everything from scratch, and they offer some creative concoctions......here is my review.

My least favorite of all the cupcakes I tried was the blue velvet cupcake. The blue velvet is the Thursday "flavor of the day" and consists of a blueberry cupcake with creamy mascarpone frosting. The frosting was good and it had fresh blueberries on top, but the cake part tasted more like a blueberry muffin than a cupcake.

My second favorite was the vanilla cupcake with chocolate frosting. Again...the frosting was yummy, but the cake part was a little dry and for some reason it tasted a little like bacon to me. B did not agree with the bacon part, but did say that she too thought the cake to be a bit dry.

My most favorite was the chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting. The cake was a little dry, but it had good flavor, the frosting was yummy, and the purple and brown sprinkles were pretty.

I really wanted to love this place, but it seems that Kickass Cupcakes needs to work out a few kinks before it can move into the greatness category. I'm hoping that Kickass Cupcakes will be able to fix some of these issues and become a thriving cupcake business in Davis Square. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: