Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Lousy Left Side

In the past I have had left ear infections, left-side TMJ pain, left eye issues, left arch pain, and a broken left leg. Overall the left-side of my body is relatively weak and everything bad seems to happen to that side. Now I have another left-side injury to report. Seems I might have a left-shoulder labral tear. I'm not sure how this even happened. I went swimming one day after work about two months ago and everthing was good. I was happy to be exercising, I didn't have any shoulder pain etc. That night I went to sleep and remember rolling over on my arm and thinking..."that didn't feel good...in fact...it hurt." The pain didn't go away so I went to the doctor. They said I had a rotator cuff injury and needed physical therapy. The doc did not suspect that I had torn anything. He specifically said he didn't think I had torn anything. He said I needed physical therapy twice a week for two weeks and should be fine. I tried to make an appointment with my old physical therapist (she isn't old....she is young in fact....but you know what I mean...I saw her when I broke my leg), but I learned she had moved to California. So....I had to find a new physcial therapist. I was bummed that I had to go to someone new....establish a new relationship......but Meghan is good so far. I have been seeing her twice a week for six weeks (It appears the doctor under estimated or didn't really know what he was talking about) and she thinks I might have torn something. And...the chances of my needing surgery are likely. This is not cool. Plus....I hear the recovery time is something like three months. Argh! I'm going to continue to do my exercises and make an appointment with an orthopedic doc to see what they have to say. Maybe they'll surprise me and say something nice like....just do more pt and your pain will go away. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

what a bummer. hope it feels better soon!