Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Changing Face of Davis Square

I was recently disappointed to see that Pluto in Davis Square had closed. I was unhappy about this because it was a great place to buy last minute gifts...funky holiday cards...and unique household items. I wondered what had happened. Were they not getting enough business? Had the building owner raised the rent? Were they making a gazillion dollars at their Jamaica Plain location and decide to put all their eggs in one basket?

Well I think I found out what happened to Pluto while I was at the gym (surprise...surprise...I do go to the gym once in a while) last night. My gym buddy told me that she had tried to go to Picante Mexican Grill in Davis Square over the weekend. She was equally as upset to find out that Picante had also closed. She spoke to a friend who told her that the owner of the building had increased the rent...which forced Picante to close their restaurant. My friend from the gym said that she will miss Picante's spinach quesadillas. I will miss having them so close by as well. I loved their burritos...and chips.

My guess is that Pluto suffered the same consequence as Picante. The fact that they were located exactly next to each other in Davis Square is a significant clue.

Fortunately folks living in the Boston area don't have to live their lives truly void of these very cool local establishments. Both Pluto and Picante have locations elsewhere. Feel free to visit them here:

Picante Mexican Grill
735 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge

Pluto
603 Centre Street
Jamaica Plain

No comments: