Friday, February 03, 2006

Medication Mayhem

On February 1st I posted that my mom had been diagnosed with diverticulitis and was exposed to the flu while she was a patient at the hospital. I also noted that she had been prescribed a seven day course of tamiflu as a prophylactic thing. I was happy to know that the hospital was at least trying to prevent my mother from getting influenza. I was annoyed when I found out that her insurance company would not pay for the $97.00 prescription when she was released on Tuesday. She is currently arguing with her insurance company to get her money back. She is also planning on contacting the hospital to complain about the fact that they put her at risk by allowing her to be exposed to the flu. I think the hospital should pay for the medication. Everyone is at risk for nosocomial infections when they go into a hospital, but I also feel that the hospital should be held accountable.

No comments: