Wednesday, September 08, 2004

I'm not sure if I already posted this information....if I already have..I apologize.

My mother was laid off from her job recently. Yup....just two weeks before she was about to go back to work full time. Two weeks before she was about to go back to work full time after struggling with colon cancer and surviving two surgeries.........chemotherapy and radiation.

The most terrible part of all of this is that they base unemployment on a persons income for the year prior. The interesting situation here? Money earned while collecting disability.....DOES NOT COUNT.

So lets talk about kicking someone when they are down. This is the lowest of the low. My parents have done some research and it looks that this is legal...yet unethical. If anyone knows differently please email me and let me know.

The other part of this is that the company she worked eight years for who laid her off......tried to get by by only giving her part-time serverance. Even though she worked full-time for them for seven years...and only spent the past year working part time because she was having her body zapped and poisoned to kill the cancer in her colon. She put up a stink...and they offered to give her full time severance pay. They said it was a clerical error. I don't know......

I hate to sound dramatic......but this all really sucks and is WAY unfair.

No comments: