Wednesday, June 25, 2003

Mom went to see the surgeon on Monday. He gave her a referral to see a stoma nurse therapist at a stoma clinic at the Brigham and Women's Hospital. She spoke with the stoma nurse therapist and the conversation seeemd promising. I hope they will be able to make this colostomy bag a little more bearable for Mom. She seems so debilitated by it. Rightfully so....if I have a hole in my abdomen.......and it burned all the time I think I would be annoyed. She is taking th T all by herself to see the stoma nurse therapist. That will be the farthest she has gone on her own outside of the house since all of this happened. Her surgeon said that he wanted my mom to have the bag until her chemotherapy was over. We'll see....I am hopeful that this nurse therapist will make a difference.....it's all they do.....so they should have a clue.

I did the Walk for Research with some friends the other day. I already mentioned that it rained. The walk itself made about $70,000 for liver reserach, education, and advocacy. I got sick ten years ago this summer. I have been healthy for the last nine years and for that I am thankful. On Sunday they were going around the group asking people to share their stories. My friends jokingly told me to share my story. I did not jump forward because my story is not as exciting as others. I have been healthy for years....I did no need a transplant after all...and for the most part i have been out of the whole liver circuit. Although one of those friends did point out that my being healthy was a significant thing and that I was a success story...which is all true. I am thankful to be healthy.....I plan on living a long life..........

No comments: